The Basics: Overview
Schedule a well-woman visit with your doctor or nurse every year. The well-woman visit is an important way to help you stay healthy.
Well-woman visits include a full checkup, separate from any other visit for sickness or injury. These visits focus on preventive care for women, which may include:
- Services, like vaccines (shots), that improve your health by preventing diseases and other health problems
- Screening tests, which are medical tests to check for diseases early when they may be easier to treat
- Education and counseling to help you make informed health decisions
Getting check-ups is one of many things you can do to help stay healthy and prevent disease and disability.
Before your next check-up, make sure you do these four things:
- Find out if you are due for general screenings or vaccinations.
- Write down a list of issues and questions to take with you.
- Review your family health history.
- Family Health History Checklist: Adults
Share family health history information with your doctor and other family members. Your family health history can give you an idea of your risk for chronic diseases like cancer, heart disease and diabetes, but it is not the only factor to consider. If you are concerned about diseases that are common in your family, talk with your doctor at your next visit. A doctor can evaluate all of the factors that may affect your risk of some diseases, including family health history, and can recommend ways to reduce that risk.
Act on your family health history. Having a family health history of a disease does not mean that you or your family members will definitely get that disease. It is important that you talk with your doctor about steps that you can take to lower your chances of getting the disease.
Your health and safety matters!
Contact The Benefits Store for you and your families health insurance needs!