The common cold can be quite a nuisance; unfortunately, there is yet to be a cure for it. However, there are a number of home remedies that can help alleviate some of your symptoms and which can help you recover quicker. The following are five home remedies that are particularly effective if you have a cold:
- Drink lots of liquids – You’ll want to make sure to stay hydrated. To flush out the toxins in your body, be sure to drink lots of liquids, such as water or juice. Staying hydrated will help loosen congestion. Avoid liquids such as sodas and alcohol, which actually contribute to dehydration.
- Sip on warm liquids – If you have a sore throat, sipping on warm liquids can be very soothing. It can also help to ease your congestion by increasing mucus flow. Warm liquids like chicken soup, tea, and warm water with lemon juice are all good options. Avoid drinking coffee.
- Gargle salt water – A sore throat is a common cold symptom that can be incredibly uncomfortable. Gargle an eight-ounce glass of water with a half teaspoon of salt to help soothe the pain.
- Add moisture to your indoor air – Adding moisture to the air inside your home is a good way to reduce congestion and prevent your throat from drying out. A cool mist vaporizer or a humidifier are both effective ways to add moisture to your air.
- Get lots of rest – The most important remedy is rest. Your body uses a lot of energy fighting off a cold. The more rest you get, the more likely you are to recover quickly.
If your symptoms are particularly bad and these home remedies aren’t quite doing the trick, then you may want to try an over-the-counter cough and cold medication. There are decongestants and antihistamines that are appropriate for patients ages 5 and older, and they may offer some relief from your cold symptoms. For more health tips and general advice, visit us at The Benefits Store today.