It’s always important to keep holiday safety in mind when the end of the year comes around. The risk of getting hurt increases during the holidays for a myriad of reasons, whether it’s due to a lack of toy safety awareness or a lack of travel safety. One thing that few people think about when it comes to safety awareness during the holiday season is parking lot safety.
Parking Lot Holiday Safety Risks
People automatically assume that they’re in a safe area when driving around in a parking lot — most likely because the speed limit is very low to prevent accidents from occurring. However, just because people are driving slowly doesn’t mean there’s no risk.
There tend to be a lot of accidents that can result in injuries in parking lots, especially during the holidays in California when stores are packed. There are numerous reasons for this:
- People are often on their phones while driving through parking lots and aren’t paying attention to the road.
- People who are leaving their parking spaces often forget to check their blind spots and back into someone or something.
- Parking lots are very congested with both vehicles and people during the holidays, which means the risk of an accident can increase.
Holiday Safety Tips For Navigating Parking Lots
To ensure that you don’t get into an accident in a parking lot this holiday season, be sure to keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Be careful when backing up – When leaving a parking spot, don’t just rely on your rearview mirror — look over your shoulder and check your blind spots. Back up slowly just in case a pedestrian or car passes by.
- Pay attention when driving through a parking lot – Besides avoiding traffic and pedestrians, you’ll want to be on the lookout for any cars that are leaving their parking spots that aren’t paying attention.
- Follow the law – Stop at the stop signs and stay under the speed limit when driving through parking lots.
- Park away from the store – The further away you park, the less congested it becomes, thereby lessening the risk of getting into an accident during the holidays.
Be sure to keep these holiday safety tips in mind when driving through parking lots in California during the holiday season. For more holiday safety tips, visit us at The Benefits Store today.