It can get pretty hot during the summer here in California. In addition to purchasing health insurance to protect you financially should anything happen to your health, you should also take precautions against the summer heat in order to ensure that you don’t have to use your health insurance.
The following are five summer health tips that you should be sure to follow:
- Protect your skin – Wear loose-fitting clothing to help keep cool and to protect your skin from being burned by the sun as well as from mosquitoes. You should also apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before you go outside and reapply it every two hours. Protecting your skin against the sun will help to prevent skin cancer, which is the number one type of cancer that affects Californians.
- Don’t leave anyone in the car – Whether you’re running inside somewhere for a minute or just unloading groceries, don’t leave children, seniors or pets in the car without the air conditioning on. It can takes as little as ten minutes for the temperature to reach deadly levels in the heat.
- Protect your eyes – Wear a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses with UVA and UVB protection in order to prevent chronic exposure to the sun, which can cause cataracts and even lead to blindness in some cases.
- Supervise your kids – If you plan on going to the beach or using the pool, do not leave your kids unsupervised. Drowning is the leading cause of injury-related deaths for children under the age of five.
- Remain hydrated – Drink plenty of water throughout the day in order to stay hydrated. If you get thirsty, you’re already dehydrated.
Keep these five summer health tips in mind and be sure to contact us at The Benefits Store for helpful information concerning California health insurance.