Did you know that poisoning is the number one reason for injury-related deaths in the U.S, surpassing even car accident-related deaths? There were 87,404 poison deaths in 2020 alone, a 32 percent increase from the year before. Unfortunately, many people don’t realize just how prevalent poisonings are and how easily they can occur.
Common Causes of Poisoning
To help prevent poisoning, it is important to understand the primary sources of poisoning. The following are the five most common poisoning causes in the U.S.:
- Painkillers: Prescription painkillers, such as opioids, are one of the primary causes of poisoning deaths. With unintentional misuse or abuse of these drugs, it is easy to overdose and suffer dangerous side effects. .
- Cosmetic products: Makeup and other personal products, such as shampoo, contain potentially toxic ingredients. If these products are used improperly or accidentally ingested by children, they can cause serious health problems.
- Household cleaning products: Household cleaning products contain a variety of powerful chemicals that can be dangerous if accidentally ingested or applied to the skin. For example, bleach is known to be corrosive and can cause serious damage if swallowed.
- Sedatives, hypnotics, and antipsychotic medicine: Like painkillers, these drugs can pose a serious risk if not taken as prescribed. Unfortunately, they can also be abused or accidentally ingested, resulting in serious health issues or fatal consequences.
- Foreign bodies, toys, and other objects: In many cases, items such as small toys can be ingested by children. Not only can small parts pose a choking hazard, but they can also be poisonous if the material contains toxic chemicals.
Prevent Accidental Poisonings
To prevent accidental poisonings in your California home, store all medications and products containing toxic substances away from young children. It is also important to read the labels of all products before using them to ensure that they are used properly and safely. For more information about the causes of poisoning and how to prevent them, visit us at The Benefits Store today.
Blog Home Page