The end of the year is typically when families come together to celebrate the holidays. Unfortunately, this time can also lead to an increased risk of catching the flu. The flu is more prevalent in winter because people are indoors more often, allowing the virus to spread more easily. Additionally, colder, dryer air also encourages the spread of the flu.
One of the best ways to avoid the flu is by getting the flu vaccination. To help promote awareness of the flu shot, December 5-9 was named National Influenza Vaccination Week.
Tips for Avoiding the Flu
Avoiding the flu isn’t difficult as long as you take the right precautions. Getting the flu vaccination is arguably the best way to protect against the flu. Each year, a new vaccine is developed to protect against the most prevalent strains of the flu. However, there are other precautions that you should take as well to avoid the flu. The following are some tips to help you stay healthy during the holidays.
- Wash your hands frequently, especially after touching commonly used surfaces.
- Disinfect commonly used surfaces in your home, such as doorknobs and countertops.
- Avoid close contact with people who may have the flu.
- Exercise regularly. Doing so will help boost your immune system.
- Eat healthily. Like exercise, a healthy diet can help to strengthen your immune system.
- Reduce your stress levels. Stress can weaken your immune system, making you more prone to getting sick. Because the holidays can be a stressful time of the year, take extra care to manage your stress levels.
Avoid Getting Sick This Holiday Season
Avoiding the flu during the holidays is important since you’ll want to enjoy your time with friends and family without getting sick, and you won’t want to get anyone else sick. As such, you should do everything possible to avoid getting the flu, whether staying in California or traveling elsewhere. Use these tips to avoid getting the flu during the holidays, and be sure to visit us at The Benefits Store for more health advice and information today.