Mental illness can affect a person’s thinking, feelings, behavior, mood, and ability to relate to others. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including genetics, trauma, environment, and lifestyle choices. Unfortunately, it is a real and significant issue in the United States, with an estimated one in five adults experiencing mental illness each year.
To help address this important issue, the U.S. government has taken steps to increase access to mental health services and resources and to spread awareness by designating May as Mental Health Awareness Month.
Facts About Mental Illness in the U.S.
To better help you understand the impact of mental health disorders in the U.S., the following are a few facts that you should know:
- It’s estimated that around 57.8 million adults in the U.S. over the age of 18 had a mental health condition in 2021.
- In 2021, of the 57.8 million adults estimated to have a mental health condition of some sort, only 26.5 million sought out mental health services of some kind.
- Around 27.2% of female adults have a mental health condition compared to 18.1% of adults.
- It’s also estimated that around 5% of U.S. adults have what can be diagnosed as a serious mental health condition.
- Out of youth in the U.S. aged 6 to 17, it’s estimated that 17% have experienced a mental health disorder of some sort.
- Around 7.6% of U.S. adults experienced both a mental health condition and a substance abuse problem at the same time.
- Around 19.1% of U.S. adults experience anxiety disorders, while around 8.3% experience major depressive episodes every year.
Seek Mental Health Services Today
If you’re struggling with mental illness, then it’s critical that you seek out professional mental health services in California to help you manage your condition. Whether it’s one-on-one counseling, group therapy sessions, or medication, there are a variety of options available to you. With the right treatment, you can improve your mental health and get back on track. For more health awareness information, visit us at The Benefits Store today.